GRAND CONCOURSE, N.Y. (WPIX)—A 2-year-old girl playing with her young brother Wednesday morning narrowly escaped serious injury when a chunk of a bedroom ceiling collapsed onto her, PIX News has learned.
Diamond Salgada was reportedly playing ball with her 4-year-old brother in the family's apartment on 1410 Grand Concourse around 9 a.m. when the ceiling fell. The young girl was covered in dust and debris.
"A ceiling fell on my baby's head this morning," Ramona Salach, Diamond's mother, tearfully told PIX news.
Diamond was rushed to Lincoln hospital, where she was treated and released for minor injuries.
Ramona said the family moved into the Bronx apartment five days ago, after high levels of the toxic chemcial were discovered in their previous apartment.
The mother of two said both her children -- Diamond and Donte -- are now forced to take medication because of the unfit living conditions. In addition, she said her son, Donte, has delayed speech.
"This is the second apartment we were sent to," Ramona explained. "The first apartment, my children got lead poisoning. We've only been in this apartment a few days and a ceiling falls on top of my baby's head."