14-year-old girl killed in Timonium after tree falls on car during storm

A 14-year-old girl was killed Thursday evening after a tree fell on top of the car she was in as severe storms swept through the Baltimore area.

More storms are expected Friday.

Baltimore County police said the incident happened around 5:30 p.m. on Pot Spring Road at Deer Fox Lane in Timonium. A tree had fallen on top of a Hyundai Sonata that was traveling southbound on Pot Spring Road.

A 16-year-old girl, a 13-year-old girl and the driver of the car, who is the mother of the deceased girl, were all taken to hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries. The 14-year-old girl who was killed was seated in the back of the car.

On Friday, police identified her as a Cockeysville resident.

A crane and a landscaping machine had to be used to remove the tree from the top of the car, police said. Police spokesman Shawn Vinson said police were investigating whether the weather played a role in the incident.

The storm created wind gusts up to 60 to 70 mph, with some of the strongest from Catonsville, north across the county, to Timonium and Jacksonville, said National Weather Service Meteorologist Bryan Jackson said Friday morning. Some areas received more than inch of rain.

More storms are expected to roll into the area Friday afternoon.

“We could get more thunderstorms in the afternoon. Then late evening, a line of storms. Could be two rounds,” he said.

More than 30,000 Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. customers temporarily lost power and parts of several major highways were also shut down after the storms passed through Thursday night. Power to a majority of homes was restored by Friday morning. About 140 outages remained in Lutherville and Timonium as of 9 a.m. Friday.

Both directions of Interstate 83 were shut down near where it meets Interstate 695, though the highway has since reopened. Downed trees were reported to be blocking other roadways in the Cockeysville and Towson areas and northern Baltimore City.

EMS Lieutenant Tim Rostkowski, a spokesman for the Baltimore County Fire Department, said there were several reports of downed trees around 6 p.m. Thursday. Officials had not reported additional injuries Friday morning.

Baltimore Sun reporter Jessica Anderson contributed to this story.



Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad