Strong winds that toppled trees, trucks to continue this morning in Maryland

Strong wind that took down trees and tractor trailers in Maryland overnight will continue Monday.

High winds are forecast across Maryland for much of Monday after gusts overnight left some residents without power, took down trees and power lines, and toppled tractor trailers on Interstate 95.

Severe storms moved through the region late Sunday with gusts above 60 miles per hour in some places, prompting a severe weather statement from the National Weather Service.

A high wind warning — forecasting winds between 40 and 60 mph — remains in effect for Monday. The National Weather Service says downed trees and power outages are possible. Winds should diminish by the afternoon, the service said.

BGE started experiencing outages around 11 p.m. Sunday and over the course of the storm, restored service to about 12,000 customers.

As of 10:30 a.m. the utility was working to restore power to about 1,900 customers.

"The restoration is ongoing — we're restoring service as those outages get reported to us," said Linda Foy, a BGE spokeswoman. "We're expecting to have busy day."

BGE expects new outages to be reported throughout the day, as the wind moves through the area.

BGE has significantly expanded its tree trimming efforts in recent years, which Foy said has helped reduce the number of outages due to branches falling on power lines.

On the Tydings Bridge between Cecil and Harford counties, tractor trailers were subject to heavy crosswinds on the Susquehanna River overnight. "Multiple tractor-trailers overturned" on the southbound lanes carrying I-95 over the river some time around midnight, according to the Susquehanna Hose Company. Crews from Harford and Cecil counties responded.

The Maryland Transportation Authority said on Twitter that drivers should "expect the unexpected on the roads" Monday.

D.C. Fire and EMS officials tweeted early Monday that the roof blew off part of a three-story apartment building in Southeast Washington, but no one was hurt. The Red Cross was called in to help residents.


Baltimore Sun reporter Sarah Gantz and The Associated Press contributed to this story

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad