Hypothermia was a factor in the death of a man in Prince George's County recently, prompting state health officials to warn the public about the dangers of cold weather Wednesday.
The man, aged 45-64, died some time between Nov. 26 and Dec. 2, according to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. No other details on the death are being released for privacy reasons, officials said.
Health officials caution those spending extended periods outdoors to be wary of hypothermia and frostbite, as well as poisoning from carbon monoxide produced by stoves, generators and fires.
At least 19 cold-weather-related deaths occurred in Maryland last winter, while there were at least nine such deaths the previous winter, according to health department data.
Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun