Suffered storm damage on your property? Here are some things you should do:
• Contact your insurance company immediately.
• Take photos or video. Wait to remove damaged property until after an insurance adjuster sees it.
• If you must relocate, make sure your insurance company knows how to reach you.
• Keep receipts from emergency repairs and temporary living expenses.
• Make only repairs needed to prevent further damage. Do not make permanent repairs before consulting with your insurance company to avoid expenses that will not be reimbursed.
• Seek estimates from at least two contractors.
• Make a list of damage.
• Keep paperwork for claims that are denied. If the federal government later declares the region a disaster area, you might be eligible for federal relief.
• Read your policy to understand what's covered.
Source: Office of Maryland Insurance Commissioner