Small craft advisories are a common occurrence on the Chesapeake Bay, so take note that tomorrow begins the National Weather Service’s Safe Boating Week, in partnership with the U.S. Coast Guard and other groups.
The weather service will broadcast safety tips over weather radio during the week. Some of the tips include:
- Wear appropriate clothing and protective gear in case of capsizing to prevent risk of hypothermia.
- Have a plan of escape if there is a risk of thunderstorms.
- If thunderstorms occur, seek port and shelter immediately, if possible.
- Take note of marine weather advisories and forecasts for wind and wave heights.
- Buy and register Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons, or EPIRBs.