National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration forecasters predict a busy Atlantic hurricane season is ahead.
They are calling for 45 percent chances of an active year in the tropics, 35 percent chances of a typical year and only 20 percent chances of a below-normal season.Read more
Temperatures hit 90 degrees Thursday afternoon in Baltimore for a second-straight afternoon.
A “Code Orange” air quality alert is again in effect. That indicates smog levels are at unhealthy levels for sensitive groups, including the elderly, children, asthmatics and people with heart conditions.Read more
Baltimore tied a 121-year-old record high Wednesday afternoon.
Temperatures hit 93 degrees just after 3 p.m., matching a record for Wednesday’s date set May 17, 1896, according to the National Weather Service.
Wednesday’s record was set at Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, while the previous mark was set when Baltimore’s point of record was the U.S. Customs House downtown.Read more
There won’t be a washout at the 142nd Preakness Stakes, and this week’s chilly weather will depart before next Saturday’s race, too.
The weather is forecast to change dramatically next week, with nary a chance for rain and some significantly warmer-than-normal temperatures. That trend is expected to continue through the Preakness.Read more
A flood warning is in effect across the Baltimore region after an inch and a half of rain fell Thursday night into Friday morning, but some clearing and sunshine are expected Friday afternoon.
The rain gauge at Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport measured 1.49 inches of precipitation from 9 p.m. Thursday through 10 a.m. Friday.Read more
So far, 2017 is on pace to be Baltimore's fourth-warmest year on record, after last month ended as the region's second-mildest April on record.
Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, the region’s point of record since 1950, averaged 60.3 degrees in April. That is slightly closer to normal for May.Read more