Fallen IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn left jail on bail on Friday and was whisked to a safe house off Wall Street where he will be held under round-the-clock armed guard.

Charged with trying to rape a hotel maid in Manhattan, the scandal appears to have wrecked Strauss-Kahn's hopes of running for president of France. He has denied the charges and is due to reappear in a New York court on June 6.

Here is a timeline of events:

FRIDAY AFTERNOON - Strauss-Kahn checked into a $3,000 a night suite at the luxury Sofitel hotel in midtown Manhattan, which a law enforcement source said he got for a discounted rate of $800. The hotel is near Times Square, Broadway theaters, Fifth Avenue shopping and Central Park.

SATURDAY ABOUT 12:00 P.M. EDT (1600 GMT) - A law enforcement official said that according to the maid's account, she entered Strauss-Kahn's suite, room 2806, which she apparently thought was unoccupied. Following routine procedure, she announced herself when she entered the suite, and left the front door to the suite unlocked and ajar.

She entered the living room and didn't see anyone. Then she opened the door to the bedroom, where she saw Strauss-Kahn, naked. She apologized and said she would come back later, and started to leave the room.

Strauss-Kahn allegedly ran after the maid and, according to the criminal complaint filed by prosecutors, shut the door of his hotel room, preventing her from leaving. He grabbed the victim's chest without consent, attempted to remove her pantyhose, and forcibly grabbed the victim's vaginal area. His penis made contact with the victim's mouth twice through the use of force, prosecutors said.

The woman fled and reported the incident to her supervisor, who called the police. Strauss-Kahn left the hotel, leaving behind his mobile phone.

An ambulance was called to the hotel and the woman was taken to a hospital where she was treated for minor injuries and released.

SATURDAY, 12.28 P.M. - Strauss-Kahn checked out of the hotel, according to court papers filed by his lawyers with the New York State Supreme Court on Wednesday.

SATURDAY, 12.45 P.M. - Strauss-Kahn went to a scheduled lunch a few blocks from the hotel, according to the court papers. He lunched with a family member, defense lawyers said.

SATURDAY, about 1:30 P.M. - Security staff at the Sofitel called police to report the alleged sexual assault, a law enforcement source told Reuters. The first police units arrived at the hotel at 1:45 p.m., the source said.

SATURDAY, about 2.15 P.M. - "Strauss-Kahn was driven to John F. Kennedy International Airport to catch an Air France flight to Paris, which was scheduled to depart at 4:40 p.m. A seat for Mr. Strauss-Kahn had been reserved on that particular flight approximately one week in advance," court papers filed by defense lawyers said.

SATURDAY, about 3.30 P.M. - Strauss-Kahn called the hotel to ask about his missing mobile phone and asked that it be delivered to him at the airport.

SATURDAY, TIME UNKNOWN - Strauss-Kahn boarded Air France flight 23 for Paris and was seated in the first class section. He had been due to meet German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Europe on Sunday. Defense lawyers said Strauss-Kahn again called the hotel to ask about his mobile phone.

SATURDAY about 4:40 P.M. - Police from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which is in charge of airports, boarded the flight minutes before it was due to depart and detained Strauss-Kahn. He was not handcuffed.

The Port Authority police turned him over to New York Police Department detectives. They handcuffed him.

Strauss-Kahn made no statements and requested a lawyer. He was taken to the NYPD's Special Victims Unit in Harlem, which investigates sex crimes. He made no statements.

SATURDAY NIGHT/SUNDAY MORNING, TIME UNKNOWN - The French consul general met with Strauss-Kahn, said Marie-Laure Charrier, a spokeswoman for the French consulate in New York.