During Tuesday evening's presidential debate, Mitt Romney stated that "The top 5 percent of taxpayers will continue to pay 60 percent of the income tax the nation collects. So that'll stay the same. Middle-income people are going to get a tax break."
If the top 5 percent continue to pay 60 percent of the income tax the nation collects, that still leaves 40 percent to be collected. If the middle-income people are going to get a tax break, who does Romney think is going to make up the difference? The lowest income people? The only way that the 60-40 ratio can be maintained is to lower taxes for everyone, but Romney insists that "I am not going to have people at the high end pay less than they're paying now." If Mitt Romney cannot understand this basic mathematical relationship, I find it hard to comprehend how he is going to solve the complexities of the nation's economy.
Richard Ulrich, Glen ArmCopyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun