8. Harris Rosen, hotel magnate
9. Dean Cannon, State House speaker-designate
11. John Mica, U.S. House member
12. Joe Lewis, Tavistock Group founder
13. Toni Jennings, lieutenant governor
14. Lawson Lamar, state attorney
15. Cameron Kuhn, developer
16. Clarence Otis, Darden Restaurants CEO
17. Fred Leonhardt, GrayRobinson partner
18. Bill Nelson, U.S. senator
19. Kathy Waltz, Orlando Sentinel publisher
20. David Brown, Broad & Cassel chairman
21. Dick Batchelor, consultant and former legislator
22. Dan Webster, state Senate majority leader
23. Jeff Fuqua, Amick Construction president
24. Jacob Stuart, Orlando Regional Chamber of Commerce president
25. The Orlando Magic
HOW THIS SERIES WAS PREPARED
To compile these rankings, Taking Names columnist Scott Maxwell assembled a panel of 14 people who are in good positions to judge power and influence in Central Florida. They come from the political, business, nonprofit and educational communities -- a mix of ethnicity, gender, locales and ages. Their mission: compile a list of the most powerful people in Central Florida -- those people who know how to get big-scale results through influence, contacts, diligence and fortitude.
2006 Most Powerful People in Central Florida
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.