www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/bs-ed-sandy-relief-20130109,0,4243791.story

baltimoresun.com

Government should get out of the flood-insurance business

12:45 PM EST, January 9, 2013

Advertisement

A recent headline stated that "Congress approves more aid for Sandy's victims" (Jan 5). Really?

My take is that what Congress did was require our children to borrow another $10 billion to pay contractual obligations of government insurance claims. Insurance premiums are only covering about 1 percent of previous claims, and our children will pay the other 99 percent.

Soon another $50 billion will be added to the tab, and Sandy will not be the last disaster.

The government needs to either get out of the flood-insurance business or make premiums cover outlays. Sandy's victims must be helped, but we cannot continue to subsidize high-risk communities at this level in the future.

Food, water, emergency care and temporary shelter should always be provided, but not cash. Some flood-prone areas are looking forward to rebuilding bigger and better every couple of years — all on our dime.

Dan Griffin, Perry Hall

  • Text NEWS to 70701 to get Baltimore Sun local news text alerts