Thelma C. McDonough, a homemaker who never lost her affection for Baltimore, died Aug.1 from complications of leukemia at Julia Manor Health Care Center, Hagerstown.
The longtime Towson resident was 98.
Thelma Caroline Catherine Virginia Veronica Lewis was born and raised in East Baltimore.
She was a descendant of the family that founded Fenwick Island, Worcester County, and Meriwether Lewis of the Lewis and Clark expeditions.
She graduated from St. Elizabeth's Parochial School and worked at The Fountain of Youth soda fountain at North Calvert and Fayette streets, where she met her future husband, Edward J. McDonough.
The couple married in 1935 and raised their children in Baltimore until 1958, when they moved to Bel Air. They later moved to the Glenmont Apartments in Towson, where they lived for the next 30 years.
Mrs. McDonough's husband, who was legally blind, died in 1992.
Mrs. McDonough's favorite places in the area included Hale's Seafood Haven in Parkville, Berg's Farm and Dairy on East Joppa Road, Harold's Fruit Market, the Oriole and Horn & Horn cafeterias and the old Greetings & Readings on Taylor Avenue.
Even though she moved to the Village of Robinwood in Hagerstown in 2001, relatives would pick her up and take her around Baltimore, family members said.
Mrs. McDonough was an accomplished cook whose favorite recipes included her homemade potato salad and orange pound cake. She was also an avid pinochle player and enjoyed playing the lottery.
She was a communicant of St. Ann Roman Catholic Church in Hagerstown.
A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Aug. 20 in the chapel at the Douglas A. Fiery Funeral Home, 1331 N. Eastern Blvd., Hagerstown.
Surviving are a son, E. Patrick McDonough of Timonium; a daughter, R. Kathleen McDonough Perini of Hagerstown; nine grandchildren; and 29 great-grandchildren.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun