Mary E. Weaver, a former nursery school educator who later managed a Baltimore senior living apartment building, died Feb. 22 of complications from leukemia at Stella Maris Hospice.
The longtime Jacksonville-area resident was 82.
The daughter of farmers, Mary Elizabeth Hoover was born and raised in Ronks, Pa., in rural Lancaster County.
She was a 1948 graduate of East Lamperter High School, and two years later married Kenneth N. Weaver, a geologist. The couple lived in the city's Pimlico neighborhood.
After briefly living in Pittsburgh, the couple returned to Maryland in 1963 when Dr. Weaver was named state geologist and director of the Maryland Geological Survey, a position he held until retiring in 1992.
In 1963, they moved to the Four Corners neighborhood near Jacksonville, where Mrs. Weaver was a founder and teacher of the Play School nursery school at Chestnut Grove Presbyterian Church, where she was a member.
The school eventually thrived and changed to its current name of Chestnut Grove Child Development Center some years ago.
Mrs. Weaver became interested in gerontology and took numerous courses on counseling and psychology, with an emphasis on aging.
In the late 1970s, she was named activities director at St. Andrews Senior Center and then became manager of Marlborough House, a senior living complex on Eutaw Street, where she was responsible for maintenance and occupancy.
She later became manager of Westminster House, another senior housing community, in the city's Mount Vernon neighborhood. She retired in 1985.
They later moved to Mercy Ridge retirement community in Timonium. Dr. Weaver died in 2010.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at her church, 3701 Sweet Air Road, Phoenix, Baltimore County.
Mrs. Weaver is survived by a son, Matthew O. Weaver of Las Vegas; a daughter, Wendy Scheinberg of Jarrettsville; a brother, Leroy Hoover of Lancaster, Pa.; and two granddaughters.