Mary LeG. Fisher, a homemaker and volunteer, died Aug. 18 of pneumonia at University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center. She was 96.
The daughter of an attorney and the manager of the Baltimore Country Club, Mary LeGrand Slingluff was born in Baltimore and raised in Riderwood.
She attended Bryn Mawr School and made her debut at the Bachelors Cotillon in 1935.
In 1942, she married William Alexander Fisher Jr., an attorney who died in 1985.
During World War II, she was a nurses' aide at St. Lukes Hospital in San Francisco and at St. Lukes Hospital in Seattle.
Returning to Baltimore, she settled in Roland Park and later lived at Cross Keys before moving to the Blakehurst retirement community in Towson.
Mrs. Fisher volunteered at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, Union Memorial Hospital, and the Children's Aid Society.
She had been secretary of the English-Speaking Union in Baltimore and the Audubon Society of Boston, where she conducted bird-watching excursions.
She was a member of Chapter One of the Colonial Dames of America and was the former patroness of the Baltimore Assembly. She was a former member of the Junior League of Baltimore and the Town & Country Garden Club.
She was also a member of the Friends of the American Wing at the Baltimore Museum of Art.
Mrs. Fisher enjoyed doing decoupage, traveling and giving and attending parties. She also collected antiques.
She was a communicant of Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church. She also had attended the Roman Catholic Shrine of the Sacred Heart in Mount Washington and the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Mary Our Queen.
There are no services.
Mrs. Fisher is survived by a son, William A. Fisher III of Ruxton; a daughter, Alexandra Fisher Mitch of Houston; four grandchildren; and a great-grandson.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun