Jean S. Williams, a retired educator who had taught at the Bais Yaakov School for Girls and enjoyed traveling and bird watching, died May 26 from complications of dementia at the Glen Meadows Retirement Community in Glen Arm where she had lived since 1999.
The former Towson resident was 92.
Jean Shirley, the daughter of Dennis Shirley and Estelle Reed Shirley, was born in Baltimore and raised in Forest Park and Mount Washington.
A 1942 graduate of Forest Park High School, she earned a bachelor’s degree in 1946 from Western Maryland College, which is now McDaniel College.
She taught junior high school in Baltimore County public schools before joining the faculty of Bais Yaakov School for Girls in 1964 as an English teacher. She retired in 1989.
In 1947, she married Francis P. Williams, a career Towson High School physics teacher. The couple had lived in Fallston before moving to Towson.
She had been active with the Girl Scouts, with church work as a longtime parishioner of Immanuel Lutheran Church in Northeast Baltimore, and in neighborhood affairs. She also volunteered with Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland.
Mrs. Williams was a season ticket holder to the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and was an opera lover.
After retiring from teaching, she was able to pursue bird watching and was an active member of the Harford Bird Club.
She and her husband, who died in 2008, had traveled to nearly all of the United States, including Alaska, as well as Canada and Europe.
At Mrs. Williams’ request, no services will be held.
She is survived by a son, Stephen Williams of Towson; a daughter, Janet L. Williams of Lyme, N.H.; a granddaughter; and two great-granddaughters.