Henry K. Daly, a retired Howard County businessman and World War II pilot, died Monday of heart failure at Annondale, his Woodbine home. He was 93.
The son of a Baltimore & Ohio Railroad accountant and a homemaker, Henry Kenneth Daly was born in Baltimore and raised in the city's Pimlico neighborhood.
A 1938 graduate of Polytechnic Institute, he enlisted in the Army Air Forces, where he was trained as a B-25 pilot. Mr. Daly was assigned to the China-Burma-India theater, where he flew missions over the treacherous Himalayas. Because so many planes crashed along the route, it was nicknamed the "Aluminum Highway."
After the war, Mr. Daly remained an active Reservist until 1955, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel.
The former Lochearn resident moved to Woodbine in 1961, where he owned and operated five businesses: Page, Kaufman Daly, Howard County Supply, Laboratory Engineering Co., Edwards and Co., and the Daly Corp., until retiring in the 1990s.
A thoroughbred horse owner, Mr. Daly ran horses at Pimlico, Laurel and Timonium, and at Penn National and Charles Town race courses.
Mr. Daly was a past commissioner of the Howard County Pony Club and a former member of the Howard County Ironbridge Hunt Club, Holly Hills Country Club, and Cattail Creek Country Club.
A tenor who had enjoyed singing, Mr. Daly had a radio show on WBAL in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
Mr. Daly enjoyed playing poker and bridge. He was also an avid golfer and swimmer.
His wife of more than 70 years, the former Elizabeth Ann Prentiss, past Maryland regent of the Daughters of the American Revolution, died last year.
He was a member for more than 50 years of Jennings Chapel United Methodist Church, 2601 Jennings Chapel Road in Woodbine, where services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday.
Mr. Daly is survived by a son, Kenneth Craig Daly of Millsboro, Del.; two daughters, Barbara Ann Floyd of Woodbine and Terry Daly Warfield of New Market; six grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun