George G. Litz, former owner of one of the Baltimore area's largest brick distribution companies, died Feb. 11 of cancer at his Owings Mills home. He was 64.
The son of a brick company executive and a homemaker, George Galvin Litz was born in Baltimore and raised on Cedarcroft Road. He was a 1967 graduate of City College and attended Loyola University Maryland.
He then joined L & L Supply Co., the Lutherville business that had been founded in 1955 by his father, Donald P. Litz Sr., and John F. Leonard, who had worked together at the old United Clay & Supply Co.
In 1975, he inherited L & L Supply Co. and continued operating it until last year when he sold it to Glen-Gery Brick, a division of Oldcastle Co.
Mr. Litz had said that one of his "great passions in life" was the fact that his company supplied the brick that built Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium.
He had been chairman of the board of Maryvale School for years and was president of the Green Spring Valley Hunt Club.
He was an avid waterfowl hunter, golfer and Ravens fan.
Mr. Litz was an active communicant of St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Garrison, where funeral services were held Feb. 16.
Surviving are his wife of 43 years, the former Betty Jane Fox; three daughters, Lacie T. DeCosta of Cockeysville, Margaret G. Domanowski of Middle River and Laurie A. Gordon of Martha's Vineyard, Mass.; two brothers, Donald P. Litz Sr. of Butler and Thomas S. Litz of Lutherville; a sister, Mary Elizabeth Litz Ayd of Baltimore; and six grandchildren.