Despite the seriousness of the casualties, the hospital unit was commended for a low mortality rate, she said.
The hospital moved again to a former tuberculosis hospital, where it remained until the war ended in Europe in May 1945.
Mrs. Laun, who had attained the rank of lieutenant, was shipped home and mustered out at Fort Dix, N.J.
She returned to Philadelphia and resumed her nursing career as a company nurse at Philco Radio in Philadelphia, and later did private-duty nursing.
While attending the wedding of an Army nurse friend in Baltimore, she met and fell in love with Joseph P. Laun Sr., whom she married in 1948.
The couple settled in Ten Hills, where they raised their nine children and lived for more than 50 years. Mr. Laun, who was the owner of Laun Brothers Lumber Co., died in 2001.
Mrs. Laun had been an active volunteer and a member of the Baltimore Civic League. She was a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 219 at Charlestown and was a founding member of the Women in Military Services for America, and had been a member of the World War II Memorial in Washington.
A Charlestown resident since 2004, Mrs. Laun enjoyed crocheting and traveling.
She was a communicant of St. William of York Roman Catholic Church in Baltimore.
Services were held Jan. 14 at Sterling-Ashton-Schwab-Witzke Funeral Home of Catonsville.
In addition to her daughter, Mrs. Laun is survived by seven sons, Joseph P. Laun Jr. of Catonsville, James A. Laun and John W. Laun, both of Ellicott City, Paul G. Laun of Kent Island, Timothy A. Laun of Ocean Pines, Walter Laun of Finksburg and Albert J. Laun of York, Pa.; another daughter, Mary T. Doyle of Ellicott City; two brothers, Walter J. Tyson Jr. and Harry Tyson, both of Philadelphia; a sister, Marianne Vetto of Portland, Ore.; 18 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.