"It would appear he took his own life at this point," Brown said.
Three semi-automatic handguns were receovered from the suspect's car, police said. All of the weapons were legally purchased and registered to the suspect. Over 400 remaining rounds were found in the suspect's possession by the end of the melee', Brown added.
"Four patients were treated and released," said Dr. Stephen Kaminski, Trauma Services Director of Cottage Health System at Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara. "Seven were transported to the trauma center and remain there -- two are in good condition, three in fair condition, and two in serious condition."
"It's obviously the work of a madman," Brown said at a news conference. "There's going to be a lot more information that will come out that will give a clearer picture of just how disturbed this individual was."
Santa Barbara County sheriff's officials said they had contact with Rodger three times since 2013, but that none of them prompted suspicion. One incident involved a welfare check last month after family members called expressing concern about his health. The deputies said Rodger, 22, seemed to be fine and did not take any action against him.
In January, officials said, Rodger accused his roommate of stealing three candles worth $22 and performed a citizen's arrest. The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department eventually arrested the roommate and booked him on petty theft charges.
Last summer, he accused several people of assaulting him. But investigators concluded he was the aggressor in the incident and a detective suspended the case.
In a 137-page document Rodger wrote, he mentioned the sheriff's welfare check last month, saying his whole plan would have been foiled had the officer found his guns and writing, which were in his room.
"That would have ended everything," he wrote. "For a few horrible seconds, I thought it was all over."
The investigation is ongoing.
Brown said authorities were investigating a possible connection between the suspected gunman and an online video that was uploaded to YouTube on Friday night.
In the video, a young man who identifies himself as Elliot Rodger, pours out his hatred of women who have rejected him and "popular kids," and says he is about to kill people out of loneliness and sexual frustration.
YouTube has since removed the video, posting in its place a notice saying the video violated its terms of service. A spokeswoman for Google Inc, which owns YouTube, was not available for comment.
The nearly seven-minute-long video shows a young man sitting at the wheel of a stationary car. He complains he is still a virgin at age 22 and that he is angry at women for refusing to have sex with him or even kiss him and at men for appearing to be happier and more successful than him.
(A full transcript of the video is available here.)
The video shows a young man who says he is a 22-year-old virgin complaining bitterly and repeatedly that women have rejected him.
"For the last eight years of my life, since I hit puberty, I've been forced to endure an existence of loneliness, rejection and unfulfilled desires, all because girls have never been attracted to me," he says on the video shot inside a car.
"Girls gave their affection and sex and love to other men, never to me." "I'm 22 years old and still a virgin, never even kissed a girl. And through college, 2 1/2 years, more than that actually, I'm still a virgin. It has been very torturous."
"I will have my revenge against humanity. I will punish all of you for it." "I will be a god compared to you, you will all be animals, you are animals and I will slaughter you like animals. I'll be a god exacting my retribution on all those who deserve it and you do deserve it just for the crime of living a better life than me."