Donor to Baltimore police surveillance program says privacy debate 'healthy'

Police presence winding down in Ferguson

Police presence winding down in Ferguson

Authorities on Wednesday disbanded what had been a command center in Ferguson, Missouri, for law enforcement responding to sometimes violent protests over the killing of an unarmed black teenager by a white police officer.

Officers loaded up the remaining fire trucks and police vans that were part of the temporary law enforcement headquarters in a strip mall parking lot, rolling out after several days of subdued demonstrations.

Boarded up stores were the only sign of the turmoil along West Florissant Avenue in Ferguson, which had been the site of clashes between demonstrators and police that led to scores of arrests after the shooting of Michael Brown, 18, on Aug. 9.

A group of men and women from St. Louis Youth Build handed out flyers on Wednesday in the apartment complex where Brown had lived, trying to recruit youths for construction and carpentry apprenticeships.

"Now people are standing up about something that happens all the time," Jermaine Brown, 40, who works for Youth Build, said of the unrest.

Brown's death focused global attention on the state of race relations in the United States and evoked memories of other racially charged cases, including the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old African-American, in Florida in 2012.

Demonstrators have been demanding the arrest of officer Darren Wilson, who shot Brown, and seeking changes in Ferguson where the majority of residents are black and most elected officials and police are white.

Wilson has been put on paid leave and is in hiding. His supporters have raised about $414,000 for potential legal fees, relocation and living expenses, fundraising administrators said.

On the other side, $280,000 has been raised for Brown's family. Brown's funeral was Monday.

A St. Louis County grand jury has begun hearing evidence about the shooting and the U.S. Justice Department has opened its own investigation.

Police have said Brown struggled with Wilson, who shot and killed him. However, some witnesses say Brown held up his hands and was surrendering when he was shot multiple times in the head and chest.


Copyright © 2016, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad