Marilyn Mosby campaign adviser steps down to focus on charges filed against him in Baltimore

A top campaign adviser to Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby resigned Friday to focus on addressing charges alleging he harassed and assaulted two women he had dated.

Mosby’s office assigned an outside attorney — Steven Kroll, coordinator of the Maryland State’s Attorney’s Association — to prosecute both cases against the adviser, Quincey Gamble.

Gamble, 43, is a veteran Democratic operative in Baltimore who was the former executive director of the Maryland Democratic Party and advised numerous Democratic campaigns in the city — including former Lt. Gov. Anthony Brown’s gubernatorial bid and Hillary Clinton’s presidential run.

Gamble also served as political director of 1199 SEIU, one of the state’s most politically active labor groups.

Asked Friday about the charges, Gamble said he was severing ties with Mosby’s campaign.

“I do not want to be a distraction to the great work she is doing for Baltimore,” he said in an email. “I look forward to my day in court and getting back to serving the city that I love.”

His attorney, William “Billy” Murphy Jr., declined to comment. Murphy has been a Mosby supporter, donating to her first campaign and serving on her transition committee after she won four years ago.

Zach Marcus, a spokesman for Mosby’s campaign, called it a mistake to hire Gamble.

“Our campaign contracted with Mr. Gamble to assist with political strategy,” Marcus said in a statement. “However, it was a mistake to engage with him while he had pending matters.”

Gamble was originally charged in two separate cases in Baltimore District Court for incidents that allegedly occurred in 2017. Both cases were transferred to Circuit Court in January.

He is scheduled for trial in July.

In the first case, Gamble has been charged with harassment and violating a protective order. The woman in that case wrote the court in January 2017 to say Gamble had been violating a six-month protective order she had against him, according to court documents. She wrote that Gamble was her ex-boyfriend.

“He calls almost every day, multiple times a day, repeatedly,” she wrote in court papers. “He has never obeyed the protective order … I have grave concerns for my safety.”

In the second case, Gamble has been charged with second-degree assault and destruction of property. According to court records, a different woman accused Gamble of becoming violent during a talk about their relationship in June 2017. She wrote that she left his home and he followed her out, yelling, according to court records.

“I get in my car and lock the door. He grabs my car handle and pulls it until it comes off,” she wrote to the court in last year. “At that point, he’s swatting at my face and slaps me and leaves a mark.”

Days later, she asked the court to drop the charges.

“I realize that [I] may have overreacted and acted hastily in reporting certain details,” she wrote the court.

The charges are still pending.

tprudente@baltsun.com

twitter.com/tim_prudente

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
73°