Gov. Martin O'Malley took his defense of Maryland's struggling health exchange onto national television Sunday after CNN host Candy Crowley described its rollout as "disastrous by most accounts."
O'Malley's defense came as Rep. John Delaney of the Western Maryland 6th District renewed his call for the state to abandon its exchange for the federal system, and O'Malley's remarks prompted criticism from some skeptical lawmakers.
The governor said the state did not drop the ball on the project, despite knowing about problems well before the problematic launch. The creation and launch of the site were riddled with problems, including feuding contractors, shoddy technology and troubled management.
"This complex IT challenge had ups and downs every step of the way. There were lots of cautionary lights, lots of red lights, but there were also green lights," O'Malley said. "This was a very complicated endeavor."
O'Malley made his comments in a wide-ranging interview on CNN's "State of the Union" that touched on whether he is still evaluating a run for president, his position that the state's minimum wage should be increased to $10 an hour, and that he had considered moving Maryland's troubled health exchange to the federal site as far back as June.
The governor said he still expects the state to meet its goal of enrolling 260,000 people in health care by March 31 even as the state lags far behind its goal to enroll people in private plans. About 180,000 total people have enrolled in private plans and Medicaid, O'Malley said. While enrollment in Medicaid has exceeded state goals, the state has signed up about 20,000 of the 150,000 officials say they hope to enroll in private plans.
Officials at the exchange have said some of the Medicaid enrollees may be duplicates or they may not have submitted all the required paperwork.
"That web site is now functional for most citizens," the governor said. "And we're still working through the problems."
That didn't ease the concerns of some Republican critics.
Del. Justin Ready, a Republican from Carroll County, said in a phone interview after the appearance that the governor's "rhetoric is wearing a little thin."
"I wouldn't take a victory lap yet if I was the governor," Ready said.
State House Minority Leader Nic Kipke of Anne Arundel County said he is not confident the state has a solution that will make the site work.
"Everything the governor is saying has more to do with politics than the actual experience we are having with the exchange," Kipke said. "As we continue to move forward, there is a cost to repairing the exchange. And to date, there doesn't seem to be any clear fix."
O'Malley acknowledged the exchange's troubled start during the CNN interview, as he has in the past.
"We squibbed the kickoff," he said. "But we're making it better."
O'Malley gave some indication that moving to the federal site is not a panacea as some fellow Democrats, including Delaney, a Montgomery County Democrat, have suggested. Delaney reinforced his stance in a statement Sunday.
"In addition, and at a minimum, Maryland should consider running Healthcare.gov and the Maryland Connection simultaneously to expand options for Marylanders," Delaney said. "To my mind, the fact that the White House has offered to take over portions of Maryland's exchange underscores my own independent analysis that this transition is not difficult from a technical perspective."
O'Malley said it's something that, perhaps, should be evaluated after the enrollment period has ended.
"It's not only the benefits, but it's also the risks of switching over in the middle of enrollment ... and diverting the IT assets and resources to this," O'Malley said.
Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski also said last week that moving to the federal site, which also had a "creaky" start like in Maryland, would not be advantageous.