The new gun bill will be the first of hundreds Gov. Martin O'Malley plans to sign at a ceremony Thursday. Key provisions of the 62-page law include:
- A ban on the sale of 45 types of assault weapons and their copycats.
- A ban on sales of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.
- A fingerprinting and licensing requirement for handgun buyers.
- A 4-hour training requirement for first-time handgun buyers.
- A ban on gun ownership for anyone involuntarily committed to a mental heath facility, as well as those voluntarily committed for more than 30 days.
- An exemption of gun ownership and sales from public records laws.
- Penalties for people who fail to tell police their guns are lost or stolen.
- A ban on the sale of so-called "cop-killing" bullets.
- An expansion of who is barred from gun ownership to include people a judge deemed criminally insane or not criminally responsible, as well as people given a probation-before-judgment sentence in violent crimes.