Unlimited Access. Try it Today! Your First 10 Days Always $0.99

Lisbon Fulton

LIVE COVERAGE
News Maryland Howard County Lisbon Fulton

Reservoir principal says student responsible for bathroom fire

Reservoir Principal Pat Saunderson said Friday that school staff investigated Thursday's fire in a bathroom and   "identified the student who was responsible for causing this situation.

The principal added that we "have addressed the issue accordingly."

A fire in a paper towel dispenser in a third-floor bathroom caused evacuation of the Fulton school Thursday morning.

Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services spokeswoman Maria Hogg said crews were called about 10:15 a.m.

The fire was contained and put out "very quickly," Hogg said, and students returned to the building.

Hogg said trucks from two stations, a "handful" of ambulances and a battalion chief responded to the call.

"Especially when it comes to schools, we don't take any chances," she said.

The sprinkler system caused a power outage on the second and third floors of the school, said Howard County Public School System spokeswoman Rebecca Amani-Dove. In an email sent to parents, Saunderson said power was restored by 1:30 p.m.

While power was being restored, students were held in the cafeteria, gym and auditorium, Amani-Dove said, and students then had a modified class schedule for the rest of the day.

Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
Comments
Loading

52°