www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/lisbon-fulton/ph-reservoir-fire-20140306,0,4677235.story

baltimoresun.com

Reservoir principal says student responsible for bathroom fire

By Sara Toth, stoth@tribune.com

3:35 PM EST, March 7, 2014

Advertisement

Reservoir Principal Pat Saunderson said Friday that school staff investigated Thursday's fire in a bathroom and   "identified the student who was responsible for causing this situation.

The principal added that we "have addressed the issue accordingly."

A fire in a paper towel dispenser in a third-floor bathroom caused evacuation of the Fulton school Thursday morning.

Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services spokeswoman Maria Hogg said crews were called about 10:15 a.m.

The fire was contained and put out "very quickly," Hogg said, and students returned to the building.

Hogg said trucks from two stations, a "handful" of ambulances and a battalion chief responded to the call.

"Especially when it comes to schools, we don't take any chances," she said.

The sprinkler system caused a power outage on the second and third floors of the school, said Howard County Public School System spokeswoman Rebecca Amani-Dove. In an email sent to parents, Saunderson said power was restored by 1:30 p.m.

While power was being restored, students were held in the cafeteria, gym and auditorium, Amani-Dove said, and students then had a modified class schedule for the rest of the day.