Laurel, then and now: The Library
THEN: The Stanley Memorial Library, which opened at Seventh Street and Talbott Avenue in 1967, was named for Charles H. Stanley, Laurel's mayor from 1891 to 1893. In the 1990s, the library underwent an expansion, and in 1996 the Friends of the Laurel Library was formed to advocate for the library and support its program.
NOW: Laurel's current library, a 12,000-square-foot building, is the busiest library per square foot in Prince George's County. To help meet the needs of its many patrons, groundbreaking for a new Laurel Library is slated for this fall, when the current building will be demolished and replaced with a 32,000-square-foot library with an expanded parking lot that will require about one acre of adjacent Emancipation Community Park. The new library is expected to be completed in 2014.