Laurel, then and now: First United Methodist Church
THEN: The brick building at 414 Main St. that would house First Methodist Church in 1884 was known originally as Centenary M.E. Church. The parsonage next to the church was built in 1893, a wing was added to the church in 1909 and more additions followed mid-century, expanding the fellowship and education areas.
NOW: The parsonage was torn down in 1984, and a memorial garden was created adjacent to the sanctuary, where the parsonage stood. In April 1999, a two-year expansion project began at the church, which resulted in a renovated sanctuary, expanded educational facilities and the addition of a new, circular entry.