Candle sparks fire at downtown Laurel salon

A candle sparked a fire overnight Tuesday causing $50,000 in damages to a hair salon located in downtown Laurel, city officials said.

The blaze began just after midnight Tuesday and was started by an unattended candle left on the top floor of Shear Bliss Salon at 109 2nd Street. 

City officials said it is the third such fire in the county this week. Fire officials are warning residents to be more wary of candles.

“Candles are very popular in homes these days, but people need to read the instructions on how to use them safely. Don’t let them burn longer than you’re supposed to, or near anything that can catch fire,” said David Cope, Laurel City Fire Marshal. 

Copyright © 2018, Laurel Leader - Laurel, Maryland News, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad