www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/laurel/ph-crawley-retained-20130530,0,6480076.story

baltimoresun.com

Crawley retained until new Prince George's schools leader named

By Sara Toth, stoth@tribune.com

11:40 AM EDT, May 30, 2013

Advertisement

Prince George's County Executive Rushern Baker, III announced Wednesday that Alvin Crawley is staying on as interim superintendent of Prince George's County Public Schools until a permanent leader is appointed.

The announcement comes several weeks after Crawley, whose original contract had been until the end of June, said he would resign effective Monday, June 3. Crawley had also pulled his name out of consideration as superintendent — along with the two other finalists — in the midst of legislation passing in Annapolis that give more school governing power to Baker.

In a statement, Baker thanked Crawley for agreeing to stay on as interim superintendent to close out the school year. The last day of school in Prince George's County is Friday, June 7.

"His decision to stay shows how committed he is to ensuring that the children of Prince George's County receive a quality education," Baker said. "Now we can focus on identifying a new school leader and develop a comprehensive transition plan."

Crawley said he was, as always, committed to Prince George's students.

"My primary focus is on closing the school year and planning throughout the summer for a successful school opening," he said.

A search committee established by Gov. Martin O'Malley will begin its work when the law goes into effect June 1. Once three finalists are put forth by the committee, Baker will appoint one as new chief executive officer of the school system. Baker will also appoint three members of the Board of Education, as well as the board's chair and vice-chair. The County Council will appoint one member, who must be a parent of a student currently in the public school system.