This winter's harsh weather has claimed another victim: the planned spring completion of the latest stretch of the Intercounty Connector.
The $90 million extension of the tolled highway from its current ending point at Interstate 95 east to Route 1 had been scheduled to be completed this spring, but that is now being re-evaluated, the State Highway Administration said Thursday.
"Following this record historic winter all major projects that were under way last fall, including the ICC, were not able to gain much if any momentum due to the repeated and non-stop snow events," said SHA spokesman David Buck in a statement. "Since work was just able to resume in the past few weeks with milder temperatures, we are currently assessing the schedule."
The ICC, as the highway is known, opened in 2011 from I-95 in the east, in the vicinity of South Laurel in Prince George's County, to Interstate 270 in the west, in the North Potomac area of Montgomery County.
The extension to Route 1, the final stage of the highway's construction, also includes the repaving of about two and a half miles of I-95 north of its intersection with the ICC.
Buck said the SHA knows "for a fact" that it will not be opening the ICC extension this spring, but he did not have a new estimated opening date.
"In the next month or so, we will have a much better idea of a new completion date and will pass that along as we have more solid information," he said.
The SHA is overseeing construction of the project; the Maryland Transportation Authority will take over ownership and operate the roadway once it is completed.
twitter.com/rectorsunCopyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun