100 Years Ago
"St. Charles College Land Will Be Sold; Final Decision of Court Of Appeals Sustains Contention Of Mr. Harper Carroll, and Valuable Tract Reverts To Heirs Of The Signer."
"In this issue of The Times will be seen an advertisement called an 'order of publication,' which in effect is really a self-serving summons to everyone living out of state holding an interest in the large tract of land containing about 250 acres formerly occupied by St. Charles College, to show cause why the property should not be sold and the proceeds divided among the heirs of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, who originally deeded the property to the trustees of St. Charles College in 1830.
"All persons who are entitled to any interest in the land and who are now living in the state of Maryland will be summoned in the usual way through the sheriff's office.
"The property was occupied by the college until a little over two years ago when the main buildings were completely destroyed by fire and the college took up a temporary home at Catonsville. However, when rebuilding plans were being considered, it was found that it would cost in the neighborhood of $100,000 more to rebuild on the old site than it would at a point more accessible. When it became apparent that the trustees would build the college at Cloud Cap near Catonsville, and would abandon the old site for college purposes ... ."
The article went on to say that Mr. R.G. Harbor Carroll, one of the descendants of Charles Carroll and an uncle, Charles Carroll, went to the courts to get the title of the land to revert back to the family via a provision in the original land grant as the land was no longer being used as a college. The courts agreed and the property would be put on the market and the proceeds divided among 'The Signers' heirs."
St. Charles was a Roman Catholic seminary and Charles Carroll of Carrollton the only Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence.
75 Years Ago
In her court
"Howard County Women Organized To Support Jury Service Measure
"Mrs. Alma Hanson Ambrose, of Baltimore, educational director of the National Women's Party and State Legislative chairman of the Maryland Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs, accompanied by Mrs. W.P. Wills and Miss Mary Doty, is visiting the women of Howard county and contacting them on the jury service bill for women and forming a committee to work for this bill.
"Mrs. Ambrose stated, 'now is the time for women to bestir themselves in the interest of such important legislation, certainly with boys and girls due to economic and other conditions becoming more and more involved with the courts, women have a definite duty to their communities to serve as jurors.
"A meeting of the local committee will be called in the near future."
The first women to "bestir" themselves and serve on a jury in America did so in 1870, in Wyoming.
50 Years Ago
Glenelg social news:
"Mr. and Mrs. James Ripple and family were guests on Sunday at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lee Cavey.
"Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Shue, Mr. and Walter Eyre, Mrs. Martha Shuffer, all of Towson, Mr. and Mrs. Harry L. Eyre, Sr., Mr. and Mrs. Harry L. Eyre, Jr. and son, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hubbard and family and Mr. and Mrs. Irvin Isaacs and family were dinner guests on Sunday of Mrs. Cora Putman and Mrs. Jesse Eyre.
"Mr. and Mrs. Ronald Howard and children, Milford Howard and son, Stevie, Jerry Howard and Miss Joan Ways were visitors on Sunday of Mr. and Mrs. M. H. Howard."
"Mr. and Mrs. William Brayshaw of Washington were Sunday evening guests of Mr. and Mrs. E.W. Cauthern."Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun