Centennial girls soccer strikes in overtime, defeats visiting Atholton 2-1

A defensive battle for the majority of the bout, it was Centennial that remained perfect, defeating visiting Atholton 2-1 in overtime Tuesday.

With less than five minutes remaining in extra time, Anna Mitchell sent a ball to Reese Western — a left-footed forward — who hit a shot on her right that caught the corner post and ricocheted back into the goal, sealing the deal for the Eagles.

“Going into overtime, we just knew we had to keep up the intensity that we had, because we knew Atholton would come in with just as much,” Western said. “We just had to outplay them.”

These teams are known for their close contests, as each of the pair’s last five meetings resulted in overtime.

Atholton freshman Lexi Sutton struck first for the Raiders, netting a rebound ball off Rachel Moon’s crossbar shot with 16 minutes remaining in the second half.

The Eagles were only able to force overtime after Western connected on a small cross chip with freshman Jasmine McCree, who recorded the tying goal—her first on varsity—with just two minutes left in regulation.

“I think the key is that Anna Mitchell plays an early ball,” coach Centennial Steve Baxter said about his team’s ability to come back and tie the game. “At that point, Reese just does a good job for us. She just has good speed.”

As Western received the pass from Mitchell, her cross caught McCree, who acted as the backside runner on the play. Baxter said it’s this type of strategy that his team wanted to get back to throughout the contest.

“We tried to play our style of play, but Atholton was definitely hungry,” he said. “They won a lot more 50-50 balls.”

Baxter referred to Mitchell as the game’s “unsung hero,” after her assist and quality play kept the Eagles in the game.

 “She did a fantastic job checking back to the ball just as she did to earn the assist on the winning goal,” he said.

Atholton Coach Stephanie Stoutenborough said she was “a little nervous” entering such a big county match-up, especially after dropping two games the previous week. Following Tuesday’s overtime loss, however, the coach said she was proud of the way her squad performed.

“If we continue to play the way we played today, I think we’ll just improve each game,” she said. “I think with time, we’ll start working together. Come mid-October, we’ll be ready for the playoffs.”

Around the county

Howard recorded its first win of the season Tuesday, taking down home team Glenelg 3-0.

In the first half, senior Katie Cocozza sent a through-ball to junior Nia Elbeck, who dribbled by the Gladiators’ goalie for the game’s first score.

In the second half, Howard added two more goals. Amanda Matus connected with Fern Peters, who beat a defender and scored on the far post.

With ten minutes left, Catherine Sims played a through-ball to Hanna Weaver, who challenged the Glenelg keeper one-on-one and scored.

Wilde Lake defeated Long Reach 2-0, in what coach Davia Procida called “a big win” for the Wildecats.

Kristin Edwards sent a through-ball to Carliane Laguerre, who scored to give Wilde Lake the lead. Sarah Hulit’s free kick to Rachel Lazris resulted in the Wildecats’ second score of the night.

“Our defense, lead by Kate Glaros, Annie Hudec, Becca Riley and Amy Radcliffe (was) tremendous throughout the entire game,” Procida said. “I give props to Long Reach. We knew the game wasn’t over until the last whistle sounded.

“They were fighting the entire time and have some very skilled players.”

Marriotts Ridge stayed perfect on the season, traveling to Mt. Hebron to take down the Vikings 2-1.

Just over midway through the first half, Taylor Hensh took the keeper one-on-one and scored. Maria Plano scored on a Sam Price corner kick for the Mustangs to go up 2-0 before intermission.

Mt. Hebron’s Kelly Richards took a throw-in and scored with 28 minutes remaining in the second half, which cut Marriotts Ridge’s lead to one.

“Overall, I was pleased with the effort put forth by my girls tonight,” said Mustangs coach Robin Grey. “We had a strong first half. Hebron came out more aggressive in the second half and kept us on our toes.”

Reservoir defeated Hammond 5-0 on the road. The Gators were playing back-to-back games for the first time all season.

“I think this was a bit tough, but again (I was) pleased with the team effort,” coach Josh Sullivan said.

Paola Rosa, Keri Rager, Delaney Reiff, Darci Fehr and Lilly Hermina all scored for Reservoir.

Rager notched three assists as well.

River Hill traveled to Oakland Mills, defeating the Scorpions 3-0.

Sheridan Street recorded one goal and one assist, and Callie Allen scored off a Madison Haugh assist. Jen Voyton also added a goal for the Hawks.

Glenelg Country improved to 4-0 on the season, defeating visiting Oldfields School 8-0.

Goals were scored by Catelyn Gamble, Deja Hursey, Karli Lawrence, Chloe Lewis, Kiersten Moore, Nicole Scruggs and Alex Swaim.

Assists were recorded by Hursey (3), Lewis and Moore.

Chapelgate drew 0-0 with Catholic. Katherine Cameron had 19 saves for the Yellowjackets. 

Copyright © 2018, Howard County Times, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad