All of regulation and two 10-minute overtime periods weren't enough to decide a winner Friday night between Marriotts Ridge and Wilde Lake.

The teams ended up settling for a 1-1 draw.

“I’m so happy right now,” said Wilde Lake coach Davia Procida. “We could have lost. They played with so much heart, so much energy and so much class. I’m very proud of them.”

The Wildecats (2-1-2; 2-0-1) came out swinging, taking a barrage of shots early on to press the Mustangs back into defensive mode. But, it only took one open opportunity for Marriotts Ridge (5-0-1, 2-0-1) to strike.

Sign up to receive our free daily email newsletter: Columbia Today

Ten minutes into the first half, the Mustangs’ Alexis Zadjura took a fast-break ball from Taylor Hensh for the first score of the game.

Following the goal, Wilde Lake continued its press into Marriotts Ridge territory, owning possessions and winning 50-50 balls.

The Mustangs were coming off back-to-back wins earlier in the week, and Grey said the effects from a heavy workload started to show.

 “It’s been a tough week," Mustangs coach Robin Grey said after the game. “I think the wear in this third game showed. I think we came out a little flatter than I’d like us to have.”

Though their coach thought the squad lacked a bit of pep, the Mustangs entered the break still leading 1-0.

The second half was more of the same, as Wilde Lake kept the pressure on the Mustangs’ defense and keeper Jenna Bergquist.

With nine minutes remaining in the game, Wilde Lake’s Rachel Lazris was making a play on a ball in the box when she made contact with an opponent, who then fell to the ground. Lazris was issued a yellow card on the play, and was forced to come out of the game, though she was allowed to return.

Just minutes later, Wilde Lake finally struck.

Ali Mallo netted a pass from Carliane LaGuerre, which tied the game at 1-1.

“We wanted to come out without a loss,” Mallo said. “Everybody has underestimated us. We wanted to come out showing the entire county that we are not a team to be messed with.”

Following the yellow card, and with tensions already high, the final seconds of regulation ticked away.

Procida said it didn’t take much coaching to get her players ready for golden goal.

“We didn’t really have to say much,” she said. “Our captain, Sarah Hulit took the lead, and just said that we made it this far, we should win this game, and leave everything on the field.

“They were awesome.”                                                      

The first overtime came and went without either team giving in, forcing a second, and final, ten minutes. 

With less than two minutes to play in the second overtime, an oncoming Mustang attempted to stop a charging Ali Mallo.