Become a digitalPLUS subscriber. 99¢ for 4 weeks.
News Maryland Howard County Columbia

Hazmat team clears accidental chemical mix in Columbia

A Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services hazardous materials team cleared a potentially hazard chemical mixture Wednesday morning caused by a cleaning crew at the Columbia Athletic Club. 

According to a department spokesman, the crew was dispatched to the 5400 block of Beaverkill Road in Columbia at 8:35 a.m. after members of the cleaning crew accidentally mixed Bromine and "Simple Green," an all-purpose cleaner.

The spokesman said the accidental mixture caused a red smoke, which was inhaled by one of the cleaning employees. 

The employee was taken to Howard County General Hospital as a precaution, according to the spokesman.

The incident caused a road closure for over an hour. The incident was cleared by 10:09 a.m., according to the department'sTwitter account.

Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
Comments
Loading