Hazmat Columbia Athletic Club

Hazardous material crews from the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services responded to the Columbia Athletic Club on Wednesday morning. (Provided by Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services. / May 22, 2013)

A Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services hazardous materials team cleared a potentially hazard chemical mixture Wednesday morning caused by a cleaning crew at the Columbia Athletic Club. 

According to a department spokesman, the crew was dispatched to the 5400 block of Beaverkill Road in Columbia at 8:35 a.m. after members of the cleaning crew accidentally mixed Bromine and "Simple Green," an all-purpose cleaner.

The spokesman said the accidental mixture caused a red smoke, which was inhaled by one of the cleaning employees. 

The employee was taken to Howard County General Hospital as a precaution, according to the spokesman.

The incident caused a road closure for over an hour. The incident was cleared by 10:09 a.m., according to the department'sTwitter account.