House fire

Some 80 Howard County firefighters responded to a fire in a Columbia house Sunday, Nov. 25. (Photo courtesy Howard County Department / November 25, 2012)

A Columbia family of four was displaced after an accidental fire on Sunday night left their home in Hickory Ridge uninhabitable.

The fire, in the 6200 block of Cardinal Lane, was reported by an alarm company when a smoke detector on the home's second floor went off, according to the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services.

HCDFRS spokeswoman Jackie Cutler said the fire was dispatched at 7 p.m. Sunday, and it took 80 firefighters about two hours to get the blaze under control.

The family of four evacuated the home before responders arrived, and no injuries were reported, although one of the residents refused treatment.


Sign up to receive our free daily email newsletter: Columbia Today

The Red Cross has been called to assist the residents.

Damage estimates are pending and the fire is under investigation.