A family was displaced after their Columbia townhouse caught fire and was heavily damaged on Saturday evening, Howard County fire department officials said.

The home, in the 7500 block of Swan Point Way, caught fire at around 6 p.m., with fire showing from the basement, fire officials said. It required the response of 40 firefighters and paramedics.

No one was injured and the fire was under control quickly, but the home is expected to be declared uninhabitable, fire officials said. Red Cross will assist the family, which includes three adults and one child.

Two nearby homes had smoke damage but the residents there are not expected to be displaced, fire officials said. There is not yet an estimate of the damage to the home.

cwells@baltsun.com

twitter.com/cwellssun