Harford copperhead bite

Jack Hummer sits in his hospital bed at University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Medical Center, where he was recovering after being bitten by a copperhead Monday night at Camp Saffran in northeastern Harford County. He was discharged from the hospital Wednesday afternoon. (Photo courtesy of Julie Hummer, Baltimore Sun Media Group / July 24, 2014)

It wasn't exactly how Jack Hummer planned to spend his 14th birthday, but it's one he'll always remember. And he'll have a great story to tell about his summer vacation.

Jack is the teenager who was bitten on the ankle Monday night by a copperhead snake at Camp Saffran, the Boy Scout camp in northeastern Harford County, where he was spending the week with his Boy Scout Troop 1673 from Laurel.

It was getting dark outside and Jack and his fellow campers were getting ready for bed. He thought he'd use the bathroom one more time and it was light enough that he didn't need a flashlight, he said Wednesday morning from his hospital room at the University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air, a few hours before he was discharged.

"He's doing fine," Jack's mom, Julie Hummer, said.

"I walked into the latrine and I thought it was a stick poking me," Jack, a student at Monarch Academy Charter School in Glen Burnie, said. "I didn't see it before it bit me. It took me by surprise."

He said he was taken by surprise and once he realized it was a snake he ran as quickly as he could. The bite didn't hurt instantly, but soon he couldn't walk. It took "five, 10, 15, 20 minutes" for the bite to take effect, he said.

"I'm feeling much better than I was when I got bitten," he said.

The bite had initially been reported as a bite to the arm, but Jack said the copperhead was on the floor of the latrine. Only one of the snake's fangs, not both, nicked his left ankle.

The leaders at Camp Saffran responded immediately and effectively as they are trained to do, Eric Chase, director of support services for Baltimore Area Council Boy Scouts of America, said Tuesday. Jack was in an ambulance within 10 minutes and at the hospital in 20, he said.

The snake was captured and destroyed, the camp's policy whenever someone comes across a poisonous snake, Chase said.

Jack said still a little shocked by the entire incident.

"I never thought I'd be bitten by a snake, then I found out it was a venomous snake, I was totally shocked," Jack, who had two brothers at the camp with him, said. "And then on my birthday."

Lessons learned?

"From now on I'm always going to pee in the forest. It's not the same as walking into the dark latrine," he said, joking that everyone who's back at camp is probably using the woods now instead of the latrines.

Jack still has about two weeks of recovery at home while he waits for the swelling to go down, Julie Hummer said. He'll be on crutches and have to keep his leg elevated, which is a bummer for Jack.

"No karate, no swimming, I can't ride my bike, go on walks. I have to lay down all day on the couch with my leg elevated and be careful not to have the dog sit on my leg," he said.

There are some advantages though, he said. He can watch television, use the computer, lie down and do some reading and writing.

"It's good in some ways, but also bad. It's definitely not worth getting bitten by a venomous snake."

Jack said he looks forward to camp every year, but he ever imagined he'd be bitten by a snake, especially a poisonous one.

"I try to leave snakes alone," he said.