Harford firefighters help with fire that destroys Fawn Grove house

Harford County firefighters helped fight a two-alarm fire that destroyed a farmhouse in Fawn Grove, just across the state line in Pennsylvania, early Thursday afternoon.

No one was injured in the incident, which occurred at an "old, two-story, stone-walled farmhouse" in the 800 block of Mt. Olivet Church Road, Fawn Grove's Citizens Volunteer Fire Company chief Scott Dickson said.

Firefighters from Whiteford, Darlington and Norrisville companies responded to the incident in York County, which was reported as a structure fire at about 1 p.m., according to the Facebook page Harford Fire Blog.

Dickson said the fire began at a wood stove and the homeowner, who does not have a phone, tried to put it out with snow.

He eventually escaped after the fire spread. Dickson said it was at least 15 minutes before 911 was alerted.

The house, valued at about $140,000, was a "total loss," Dickson said.

Crews spent about 45 minutes trying to control the fire. About 35 to 40 firefighters from various jurisdictions in Maryland and Pennsylvania ultimately responded.

American Red Cross assistance was requested, according to the Facebook page York Fire Wire.

Harford County Volunteer Fire & EMS Association spokesman Rich Gardiner could not say more about the fire because it was not a Harford incident.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad