Harford County's Emergency Operations Center was left without air-conditioning after an electrical fire at the Hickory building overnight Sunday.
The fire occurred shortly after 2 a.m. in a heating and air-conditioning component of a computer room in the lower level of the building on Ady Road in Hickory, spokesman Bob Thomas said Monday morning.
"There was no structural damage. There were no injuries reported," Thomas said, adding no flames were visible.
Thomas said no damage was done to computer servers or the system.
Air-conditioning, however, will be out of service at the Department of Emergency Services until repairs can be made, he said.
The department has brought in large fans in the rooms and hallways that will allow the computer system to keep running, he said.
Employees will continue to work in the facility as well. In addition to housing emergency operations offices, the building houses police, fire and other emergency communications and also handles 911 calls.
"It's uncomfortable, but we have no plans to relocate," Thomas said.
No estimate has been given on how long it would take or how much it would cost to repair the air-conditioning, he said.
It was still out as of Tuesday afternoon, and fans were again brought in to try to circulate air, Thomas said.
Any unnecessary lights or electrical sources were also turned off.
County 911 dispatchers, who work in a different part of the building, originally reported a burning smell, Thomas said. No one was in the computer room at the time.
Firefighters from Bel Air, Whiteford and Darlington fire companies responded to the incident, he said.
Thomas did not know what may have caused the fire.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun