Victim of Forest Hill accident involving deer is still critical

In what one person called a "freak" accident, a deer crossing Route 24 in northern Harford County Sunday afternoon caused an accident that critically injured a man, sending him to a regional trauma center.

The deer hit a motorcyclist, 45-year-old James Fisher, at about 3:30 p.m. in the area of Route 24 and Grier Nursery Road in Forest Hill, according to the Harford County Volunteer Fire & EMS Association's Facebook page.

The crash sent the Jarrettsville man by Maryland State Police Medevac helicopter to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, Sgt. Chatfield, of Maryland State Police Bel Air Barrack, said.

Fisher was riding south on Route 24 (Rocks Road) when the deer hit him, causing his bike to overturn, Chatfield said.

Fisher was in "grave" condition when transported, according to the association's Facebook page. He was in critical condition Tuesday afternoon at shock trauma, spokeswoman Cindy Rivers said.

The Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company responded to the accident, according to the Fire & EMS Association.

Roy Batton, one of the neighbors who went down to the site of the crash afterward, said it looked like Fisher had been riding appropriately and "a deer just came out of the cemetery area and hit him."

Old Centre Cemetery is on the east side of Rocks Road, but Batton agreed it was strange for a deer to cross the road in the middle of the day.

"You are always wary of deer at nighttime, but to see them crossing the road during the day is very, very rare," he said. "It's just a freak [incident], I think. You never would expect that."

"I am sure it was quite a shock to the young man driving," he added.

Batton noted deer can move quickly and it may only be 10 or 12 feet from the cemetery to where the man was riding.

Last fall, a deer was the cause of a fatal accident last fall on Route 23 near the Morse Road overpass, also in Forest Hill.

On the morning of Nov. 8, 2012, a deer was hit by a small car, which sent the deer into the air and through the windshield of a box truck, traveling in the opposite direction, whose front seat was occupied by three men who worked for the same landscaping company.

The man sitting in the middle, who was from Glen Arm, died from massive internal injuries, police said at the time.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad