Trial upcoming for Jarrettsville man involved in a police involved shooting and car chase

A prosecutor told a judge Wednesday the state will continue to press traffic charges against a Jarrettsville man, whose fender-bender with a Harford County sheriff's deputy last April turned into a shooting incident, two-county police chase and a car wreck.

William Redding Harvey V, 33, of the 1600 block of Dulaney Drive in Jarrettsville, is charged with driving while his license was suspended, driving under the influence of alcohol and driving with an incorrect license plate.

Initially, Harvey faced criminal charges including second-degree assault, resisting arrest, obstructing and hindering police and failure to obey a lawful order of the police; those charges were eventually dropped.

Harvey, who was scheduled for trial in Harford County District Court on Wednesday morning, did not appear for trial before Judge Susan H. Hazlett.

Harford County Assistant State's Attorney Mary Denholm told the judge there was confusion about how many charges Harvey would be facing since his criminal charges were dropped.

"The state asked for the criminal charges to be null prossed," Denholm said during the trial."We're going to move forward with the three traffic violations."

Denholm told the judge there was an entry error and Maryland court records only had Harvey listed for two of the three charges. Hazlett said the charges have since been updated in the system.

Denholm said she plans to call eight witnesses during the trial and believes Harvey's attorney, Gus Brown, principal of Brown, Brown and Young, will also call several witnesses.

Hazlett scheduled a hearing next week, at 11 a.m. Jan. 22, to clarify the charges that will be brought against Harvey by both parties.

Officer also awaits trial

The deputy involved in the case is also awaiting trial.

Behles was initially charged with reckless endangerment following the incident and was put on administrative duty during the investigation.

A grand jury indicted him on July 2, 2013 on first- and second-degree assault charges. He is scheduled for a criminal jury trial on April 10 at 9:30 a.m. in the Circuit Court of Harford County.

Car accident leads to shots fired

On April 8, off-duty Deputy First Class Christopher Behles, 37, was driving north on Route 23 (Norrisville Road) in an unmarked car and stopped behind a car that was turning left on White Hall Road when his car was rear-ended by a black Toyota 4Runner, police officials said at the time.

The officer, in plain clothes, got out of his vehicle and approached the 4Runner, showing the driver, Harvey, his badge.

Police said at the time details were unclear, but Behles for some reason through Harvey was not going to cooperate. The deputy told Harvey he would be arrested if he fled, then reached in the car to bring the suspect out of the car, when Harvey is said to have started to pull away and the deputy was "dragged or caught up in the door," police said at the time.

"Concerned for his safety and believed that he was risk of being seriously injured or killed," the officer fired his weapon, the sheriff's office said.

It was unclear how many shots were fired.

Harvey pulled away and sped off west on Route 23, and the deputy jumped in his vehicle and chased the 4Runner into Baltimore County. Harvey lost control of the 4Runner, which flipped over. The driver tried to run, but was eventually caught and held at gunpoint by Behles until back up officers arrived, police said.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad