Man killed in Harford barn collapse identified

A Cecil County man was killed in a barn roof collapse in northern Harford County Wednesday afternoon.

The Harford County Sheriff's Office identified the victim as Daniel Paul Dixon, 32, of Port Deposit.

Fire and rescue crews were dispatched to a structure collapse reported in the Jarrettsville area at 3:19 p.m. Wednesday.

The victim initially was reported to be trapped and gravely injured in a collapsed barn in the 3400 block of North Furnace Road off Route 152, according to the Harford County Fire and EMS Association.

"Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Company along with several Harford County Volunteer Fire Departments, and Harford County Technical Rescue team are on scene of a barn collapse with entrapment," Fire and EMS Association spokesperson Jennifer Chenworth Price wrote from the scene on the association's Facebook page. "One subject reported gravely injured and FD personnel still on scene of working on the incident."

According to the Sheriff's Office, Mr. Dixon was working in the hayloft of the one and a half story barn around 3 p.m. when, for unknown reasons, the roof shifted and collapsed onto the floor of the loft, trapping Mr. Dixon between the roof and the floor.

Others working at the scene called 9-1-1 and used a skid loader in an unsuccessful attempt to free Mr. Dixon, the Sheriff's Office said.

Sheriff’s deputies and firefighters from Jarrettsville, Fallston, and Aberdeen volunteer fire companies, along with members of Harford County's Technical Rescue Team responded to the scene; however, Mr. Dixon's injuries were found to be fatal, and he was pronounced dead at the scene at 3:25 p.m., the Sheriff's Office said.

The Maryland Occupational Safety and Health Administration responded to the scene to assess the condition of the building before recovery efforts could begin.

Scores of rescue vehicles and personnel continued to work at the scene into the evening in order to stabilize the structure so the victim could be removed from the debris. The recovery of the body was completed by 5:40 p.m., Sheriff's Office spokesman Edward Hopkins said.

John Canova, who owns the property where the accident occurred, said he had hired the victim, whom Canova said he knew only by his first name, "Daniel," and another man to install siding near the roof of the 30-year-old building.

He said Mr. Dixon was working in the hayloft and Canova had talked to him about 10 minutes before the accident occurred.

"He was a very nice young man," Canova said.

Canova said he had just gone into the lower level of the barn to get a generator when the roof collapsed. Canova said he tried using the skid loader to remove the fallen roof without success.

He said the roof had been replaced only a year and a half earlier.

Mr. Dixon’s body was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore, where an autopsy will be performed, the Sheriff's Office said.

The investigation, which was initially handled by sheriff’s deputies and detectives, will be turned over to and assumed by MOSHA.

Check back with for updates.

Copyright © 2017, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad