Madonna fire

Firefighters work at the scene of a garage fire in the Madonna area of northern Harford County on Thursday afternoon. (Harford Fire & EMS Association, The Aegis / December 12, 2013)

A garage near a home in the 4100 block of Madonna Road in Jarrettsville caught fire Thursday afternoon, causing an estimated $100,000 in damage.

No injuries were reported.

The cause was listed as accidental "due to electrical malfunction within wiring powering the garage," according to a notice of investigation from the Office of the State Fire Marshal, sent out Thursday evening.

Firefighters were alerted around 1:30 p.m., and the blaze was brought under control about 40 minutes later, according to monitored Harford County emergency radio broadcasts.

Firefighters from Baltimore and Harford counties responded.

The garage, which was attached to a home, was "fully involved" from the fire, Rich Gardiner, spokesman for the Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association, stated on the Association's Media Page on Facebook.

Firefighters from the Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Company, Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company, Fallston Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company, Norrisville Volunteer Fire Company, Whiteford Volunteer Fire Company, plus the Hereford and Jacksonville Volunteer Fire Companies of Baltimore County were on the scene, according to Gardiner.

Gardiner also stated that Madonna Road would be closed for about an hour between Cox and Lemon Roads.

The home is owned by Clarence and Janet Blakeley, according to the fire marshal's report.

The structure was a two-car garage attached to the one-story single-family house.

The report, submitted by Senior Deputy State Fire Marshal Oliver Alkire, stated that Janet Blakeley saw the fire when she came home from work Thursday afternoon.

The fire caused $50,000 in damage to the structure and another $50,000 to the contents, which included a Ford Explorer and two Harley-Davidson motorcycles, according to the fire marshal's report.

The blaze was contained to the garage, however, and only caused "minor smoke and soot damage" to the house, according to Alkire's report.