In Case You Missed It: NBA in Baltimore
NewsMarylandHarford CountyFallston Joppa

Joppatowne home damaged in Saturday morning fire

FiresAberdeen Proving Ground

Firefighters from Baltimore and Harford counties quickly controlled a fire that caused heavy exterior damage to a Joppatowne home Saturday morning.

No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported, and a neighbor ran into the house and brought out the family dog, uninjured, Andrew Doyle, a firefighter with the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company, said.

The family was not home at the time and a neighbor noticed smoke, according to a notice of investigation from the State Fire Marshal's Office.

"Other neighbors responded and controlled the fire with a garden hose and [were] able to gain access to the home to rescue the dog until the arrival of the fire department," according to the notice. "It's without a doubt these actions saved possibly the family pet and the home from further damage."

The fire was caused by the "spontaneous combustion" of rags in a trash bag, according to the report.

Smoke alarms were present but did not activate, according to the report.

The home suffered $10,000 worth of damage, according to the notice of investigation.

Fire personnel were alerted around 11:20 a.m. regarding the dwelling fire in the 300 block of Joppa Crossing Court, Doyle said.

Thirty-five firefighters from the Joppa-Magnolia, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Kingsville and White Marsh fire companies responded, he said.

"In that area of Joppatowne, that's not uncommon," Doyle explained. "Those were the closest fire stations." 

Doyle said the fire was contained mainly to the exterior of the two-story dwelling, such as the wall siding and garage.

"There was minimal damage to the actual living area," Doyle said.

Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
FiresAberdeen Proving Ground
Comments
Loading