In Case You Missed It: Baltimore Running Festival photos
NewsMarylandHarford CountyFallston Joppa

Kitchen fire damages Joppa home Wednesday

Fires

A kitchen fire damaged a home in Joppa Wednesday afternoon, fire investigators said.

Firefighters were called to the home off the 3400 block of Clayton Road at about 2:50 for a report of a working fire.

First units on the scene reported smoke showing from the two-story, wood frame dwelling that sits along Cochran Road, just off Clayton.

It took about 30 minutes to control the fire, according to a notice of investigation from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office. The fire was reported by an occupant of the home, according to the notice.

Thirty firefighters responded from Joppa-Magnolia, Abingdon, Fallston and Bel Air volunteer fire companies. No injuries were reported.

Firefighters at the scene said they were able to contain most of the damage to the kitchen area.

Damage is estimated at $25,000 to the structure and $5,000 to contents, according to the notice of investigation.

Preliminary investigation indicates a grease fire while cooking on a stove top ignited nearby wood cabinets, the Fire Marshal's Office said.

Bel Air house fire update

Saturday's house fire on Spring Drive off Virginia Avenue, just south of Bel Air, caused approximately $25,000 damage to the structure and $25,000 to contents, the Fire Marshal's Office said.

The fire, reported at 2:50 a.m. by a neighbor, originated in the master bedroom and was caused by an electrical/mechanical malfunction of a bathroom ceiling fan, according to a Fire Marshal's Office notice of investigation.

The 50 firefighters who responded from the Bel Air, Abingdon, Fallston, Joppa-Magnolia and Kingsville volunteer fire companies were able to contain the fire to attic area, the Fire Marshal's Office said. There was, however, extensive smoke, soot and water damage throughout the bedrooms of the single story, ranch style home.

The family that lives in the home was not at home at the time of the fire, investigators said.

Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
Fires
Comments
Loading