Become a digitalPLUS subscriber. 99¢ for 4 weeks.
News Maryland Harford County Fallston Joppa

Kitchen fire sends Joppa resident to hospital

A Joppa resident was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after a fire in the 1700 block of Shirley Avenue on Thursday morning, the Maryland State Fire Marshal reported.

The occupant suffered from smoke inhalation and was treated and released at Upper Chesapeake Medical Center, according to the notice of investigation.

The fire started in the kitchen at 11:23 a.m. from a candle that ignited nearby objects.

It caused $2,000 worth of damage to the home and $500 worth of damage to its contents.

It took 20 firefighters from Joppa, Abingdon and Bel Air volunteer fire companies and Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department about 15 minutes to control the blaze.

The home did not have a smoke alarm or sprinkler.

Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
  • Joppa fire
    Joppa fire

    Firefighters with Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company pull in their hoses after putting out a fire in a house in the 1700 block of Shirley Avenue in Joppa Thursday morning.

  • Community college tuition hike weakens the system [Editorial]
    Community college tuition hike weakens the system [Editorial]

    The latest tuition hike planned at Harford Community College is weak public policy as it comes on the heels of another round of tuition increases that will end up increasing the cost of one credit hour from $77 five years ago to $116 when the latest anticipated $12 increase takes effect.

Comments
Loading