Firefighters with Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company inspect the kitchen of a house that caught fire in the 1700 block of Shirley Avenue in Joppa Thursday.
(BRIAN KRISTA | AEGIS STAFF, Patuxent Publishing / April 17, 2013)
A Joppa resident was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after a fire in the 1700 block of Shirley Avenue on Thursday morning, the Maryland State Fire Marshal reported.
The occupant suffered from smoke inhalation and was treated and released at Upper Chesapeake Medical Center, according to the notice of investigation.
The fire started in the kitchen at 11:23 a.m. from a candle that ignited nearby objects.
It caused $2,000 worth of damage to the home and $500 worth of damage to its contents.
It took 20 firefighters from Joppa, Abingdon and Bel Air volunteer fire companies and Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department about 15 minutes to control the blaze.
The home did not have a smoke alarm or sprinkler.
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more
about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service
. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.