Baltimore police officer 'stable but critical' after I-95 crash in Harford

A Baltimore City police officer on his way home from work was among three people injured in a two-vehicle crash near the Joppa exit on I-95 in Harford County Monday night, Maryland State Police said.

Horace McGriff, 42, was ejected from the 2014 Nissan Armada after a 2014 Toyota Scion crashed into his car, causing it to spin and overturn, Lt. Daniel Fairburn, commander of the State Police JFK Highway Barrack, said Tuesday.

McGriff, who was not wearing a seat belt, was in stable but critical condition after being flown by Medevac to University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, Det. Sgt. Tim Mullin, also with the JFK Barrack, said earlier.

The officer was driving home to the Bel Air area, Mullin said, and was wearing his uniform at the time of the crash, which occurred near the Route 152 (Mountain Road) exit around 10:22 p.m., according to the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company.

The two passengers in the Toyota were taken by Joppa-Magnolia and Abingdon Volunteer Fire Company ambulances to Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore, according a Joppa-Magnolia spokesman.

Megan Seglinski, 19, of the 200 block of Maple Wreath Court in Abingdon, and Jessica Atta, 20, of the 3000 block of Eastbend Court in Abingdon, were treated for possible injuries, Fairburn said. Both were wearing seat belts.

The driver of the Toyota, Randy John Heavner Jr., 23, of the 1700 block of Fountain Rock Way in Edgewood, was not injured. He also was not wearing a seat belt, Fairburn said.

Charges are pending against Heavner, Fairburn said.

Mullin said alcohol and drugs were not involved. He did not know if speed was a factor.

"We had reconstructionists come out because of the seriousness of the collision," Mullin said.

Baltimore City police also responded to the incident, Fairburn said.

All lanes of I-95 were briefly closed to traffic while the Medevac landed to pick up McGriff, the Joppa-Magnolia spokesman said. Police said northbound lanes remained closed while reconstructionists worked at the scene.

A Baltimore City Police Department spokesperson was not available Tuesday afternoon to provide information about McGriff's position with the department.

Sean Welsh and Nayana Davis of the Baltimore Sun contributed to this article.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad