A home was extensively damaged and a dog died during a fire in Joppatowne early Monday afternoon.
No residents or firefighters were hurt in the incident, which was reported in the first block of Fort Hoyle Road at about 12:15, said Andy Doyle, spokesman for the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company, one several companies that responded.
The Maryland State Fire Marshal's office reported that Aberdeen Proving Ground firefighter Stevie Hinch first entered the home and rescued a family cat.
"Unfortunately, a family dog perished in the fire," the Fire Marshal's Office said in its notice of investigation issued following the fire.
The fire began in a laundry room when an electric clothes dryer malfunctioned, according to the notice of investigation.
"The neighbor who discovered the fire attempted to control the fire with a garden hose until the arrival of the fire department," the notice states.
Harford County Animal Control was on the scene to address the incident as well, Doyle said.
Harford Fire Blog on Facebook reported there was heavy smoke and fire showing from the two-story house when the fire was first reported.
The fire was reported under control within 25 minutes, according to the emergency radio broadcasts around 12:37 p.m.
About 50 firefighters from Joppa-Magnolia, Kingsville, Bel Air, Abingdon and White Marsh volunteer fire companies and from the Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department responded to the scene, the Fire Marshal's Office said.
One family was displaced, with assistance being provided to them by the Sheppard Pratt Health System Mobile Crisis Team. Several units were still on the scene at 2:30 p.m., the Fire Marshal's Office said.
Harford County Disaster Assistance also responded to help the family, according to the notice of investigation.
A photograph from the scene showed the home suffered considerable damage, inside and out. The Fire Marshal's Office estimated there is $30,000 in total damage to the house and contents.
Smoke alarms were present and did go off, according to the notice of investigation.
Aegis staff members Matt Button and Bryna Zumer contributed to this story.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun